HEADS UP: GNOME 2.26 available for FreeBSD

Alexander Nedotsukov bland at FreeBSD.org
Wed Apr 22 07:54:09 UTC 2009

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 10:22:41 +0400 (MSD), Dmitry Morozovsky
<marck at rinet.ru>
wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Apr 2009, Alexander Nedotsukov wrote:
>
> AN> > Well, then I suppose we should at least say something about this in
release
> AN> > notes, because in 7.2 one of *major* desktop application sets
conflicts with
> AN> > one of the *widest* server component.
> AN>
> AN> What do you propose to write in the release notes which could help
Apache
> AN> 1.3+ lovers?
>
> Something like
>
> Full GNOME 2.26 installation is incompatible with Apache HTTP Server 1.3
> due to user-share GNOME component dependency on apache22.  To resolve the
issue,
> either install gnome2-lite package or upgrade apache13 to apache22.

This seems to be almost obvious to me. But surely can be stressed out.
Am I right to assume we are talking about entry in ports/UPDATING?

> AN> And may I in turn quote a bit of another release notes:
> AN>
> AN> http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/Announcement1.3.html
> AN>
> AN> "We strongly recommend that users of all earlier versions, including
1.3
> AN> family release, upgrade to to the current 2.2 version as soon as
possible."

> AN> :-^)
>
> Please note that this recommendation is not located on HTTP server home
page,
> and 1.3 releases are still listed there, and not marked as "legacy"

http://httpd.apache.org/

"The Apache Group is pleased to announce the *legacy* release of the 1.3.41
version of the Apache HTTP Server."