a little confuse with case-sensitive name ports and multiple ports with some name

Oleg Ginzburg oleg.ginzburg at nevosoft.ru
Thu Apr 16 15:14:12 UTC 2009

Hello maillist!

I have two examples of ports with which arises some complexities by operation
with pkg_add and argument "-r".

One of ports is "security/keepassx". His name is registered in lowercase,
however at installation in/var/db/pkg is registered as KeepAssX. If to try to
install port with pkg_add -r keepassx it will be fail and  it will be correct
with pkg_add -r KeepAssX. Probably it is an error in naming of port?

One more problem with port - deco. It is present at two locations:

% cat /usr/ports/{archivers,misc}/deco/pkg-descr
Deco is a Un*x script able to extract various archive file formats.
Supported archive formats: 7z, ace, ar, arc, arj, bz2, cab, cpio, deb,
flac, gz, jar, lha, lzma, lzo, rar, rpm, tar, zip, zoo.

WWW: http://hartlich.com/deco/
A clone of Norton Commander for Unix.  Text-based,
full featured file manager intuitive interface.

WWW: http://deco.sourceforge.net/

Whether there is a way to specify to what category to me it is required to
download package of "deco"?

whereis -sq deco
/usr/ports/archivers/deco - its archivers

By command pkg_add -r deco - I've receive in the system fine NC-clone, but not
the archivers.

When number of port with equal name will be increase - expected results may
can not coincide with result pkg_add, and case-sensitive naming port make
works a bit difficult .