Adding comment to UPDATING file

Jerry gesbbb at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 4 06:32:03 PDT 2009

On Sat, 04 Apr 2009 13:46:11 +0100
Matthew Seaman <m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk> wrote:

>Jerry wrote:
>> I maintain a port that is undergoing some radical changes in the way
>> it maintains its 'config' files. This will require that the end user
>> make some minor changes in order to get the program to run
>> correctly. How do I go about getting something posted in the
>> UPDATING file? I couldn't find anything in the Porter's Handbook
>> describing the procedure.
>
>Add a request to the PR you send in with the updates to your port,
>including the text you'ld like to have added to UPDATING.  Unless it's
>completely frivolous or contentious or otherwise unsuitable most ports
>committers would happily add the message to UPDATING for you.
>
>I find it's also a good idea to add a warning about such things to
>any pkg_message printed out at install time.

Thanks! I was considering the pkg_message idea; however, users of
Portupgrade or other port maintenance tools often do not see the
messages printed out out the end of the installation. I will be
including a message though.

Maybe they should add an addendum to the Porter's Handbook
describing that.

--
Jerry
gesbbb at yahoo.com

Alley's Axiom : Justice always prevails . . . three times out of seven.