USE_LINUX_APPS=scimgtk vs OVERRIDE_LINUX_BASE_PORT=f7

Boris Samorodov bsam at ipt.ru
Fri Apr 3 07:43:23 PDT 2009

On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 17:26:22 +0300 Andriy Gapon wrote:
> on 03/04/2009 17:19 Boris Samorodov said the following:
> > On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 17:07:11 +0300 Andriy Gapon wrote:
> >
> >> For instance: acroread8 has USE_LINUX_APPS=scimgtk.
> >> bsd.linux-apps.mk translates this to dependency on libscim-1.0.so.8.1.0.
> >> But I have:
> >> $ pkg_which /usr/compat/linux/usr/lib/libscim-1.0.so.8.1.1
> >> linux-scim-libs-fc7-1.4.5_2
> >
> >> And yes, I have  OVERRIDE_LINUX_BASE_PORT=f7.
> >
> > Please, read my HEADSUP message from April, 01. Well, it was not
> > a joke. ;-)

> Could you please explain it to me?

The variable OVERRIDE_LINUX_BASE_PORT should mean override linux
base port. Hrs@ (as a maintainer of textproc/linux-scim-libs)
did his best to give everyone an opportunity to use new linux
libs when there was no other linux infrastructure ports.

> I didn't see anything related to f7 in the message and I don't plan to upgrade to
> f8 soon.

As for ports, there is no difference between f7 and f8 ones. Except
f8 linux infrastructure ports are fully presented at the portstree.

> So how am I affected by your changes?

You are affected by a side effect of the fact that hrs@ gave you
an opportunity to use newer linux libs when there was no other
infrastructure ports. And he decided (it was the only one right
decision) to use OVERRIDE_LINUX_BASE_PORT to distinguish between
different versions of ports/packages.

> The only thing I could guess was new variable OVERRIDE_LINUX_NON_BASE_PORTS, I set
> it to f7, but it didn't change anything.

Sure, the only one valid value is "f8".

> >> So acroread8 can't detect linux-scim-libs dependency, tries to install that port
> >> again and that obviously fails.
> >
> >> Ideas, suggestions?

I'd say that if you have used f7 and linux-scim-libs-fc7 successfully,
then you may upgrade to new linux f8 ports.

WBR
--
Boris Samorodov (bsam)
FreeBSD Committer, http://www.FreeBSD.org The Power To Serve