adding users in ports

Julien Laffaye kimelto at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 06:45:15 PDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 2:40 PM, RW <rwmaillists at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 12:12:18 +0400
> subbsd <subbsd at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> My question - why do not make this facility by generic (for example
>> create add/del/check-existence procedure in
>> some /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.users.mk file) ?
>
> Presumably because the same functionality has to go into package files,
> and work for someone that doesn't have a ports tree installed.

That's where the staged installs are interesting.
You implement the functionnality into the pkg_tools and the ports tree
use them (make package before make install).
It will also ensure that all post 'make package' features are
supported by the pkg_tools because the ports tree will rely on that.

An other solution, less elegant IMHO, is that the *.mk facilities
generates the files/pkg-install.in file, which will be executed later
by make or the pkg_tools. Well... that's *very* crappy :-)