My interactive version of pkg_add

Marcin Wisnicki mwisnicki+freebsd at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 19:04:54 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 04:08, Garrett Cooper <yanefbsd at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 2:28 PM, Marcin Wisnicki <mwisnicki+freebsd at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Would be nice if there was also INDEX.bz2.
>
> You'd need to talk to the release team about that if you don't agree
Indeed

> with that fact; INDEX.bz2 item is a portupgrade-ism, and has its own
> collection of drawbacks in addition to it's pro's.
>
>> Also to be able to write an effective pkg upgrade tool one would need
>> something like /usr/ports/MOVED.
>
> INDEX already addresses this.

Really? How?

marcin at desktop:/usr/ports> tail -1 MOVED
net/p5-Socket||2008-09-25|Removed because newer version is present inside perl5
marcin at desktop:/usr/ports> grep 'p5-Socket-[0-9]' INDEX-7
marcin at desktop:/usr/ports>

So how would one know that it is safe to remove p5-Socket without
consulting MOVED ?
Unless I'm missing something there needs to be a MOVED file or ideally
something like it that has pkgnames (with versions) for a binary
package update tool to work.