My interactive version of pkg_add

Marin Atanasov dnaeon at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 11:38:14 UTC 2008

Michel Talon wrote:

 > I can only concur with the suggestion you mention, exploring ftp sites
 > to discover what is available here. How to do that efficiently is
 > harder. Apparently "official" FreeBSD ftp sites have an INDEX of
 > available packages. I hope it is reliable. Then i suggest to download it
 > and work from that.

Yes, that's the most reasonable approach. First I thought to write some
functions using libcurl
to fetch from and navigate the FTP server, but I think that it will be
better if I stick to the main principle of
developing in Unix - simple tools combined together to solve some
complex task.
That's why I think that if I keep the program's code as clean and simple
as possible it would become a
useful tool (maybe :)), so for downloading the INDEX file fetch would do
the job :) After all the idea
about the program was to provide some interactive interface to pkg_add,
and not to rediscover the tools
which are already in the base system :)

Anyway tomorrow (or today perhaps) I'll have a working version of the
program which searches an FTP server for a given package pattern and
I'll post back the code.

Cheers!

--
Marin Atanasov