Fwd: Re: Incorrect commandline history with bash

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Sun Sep 21 23:53:36 UTC 2008

At 2:52 PM -0700 9/21/08, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

>Individual did not CC the mailing list on his response.
>
>----- Forwarded message from manish jain <unxfbsdi at gmail.com> -----
>  >
>  > Thanks Jeremy. Sourcing .bash_profile from .bashrc solved the
>  > problem. For some reason, sourcing .bashrc from .bash_profile
>  > worked equally well with the version of Linux I was previously
>  > using.
>  >
>>  Regards
>>  Manish Jain
>-----    end message from manish jain <unxfbsdi at gmail.com> -----

I do not understand how that makes any difference.  He had all his
commands in .bashrc, and sourced it from .bash_profile.  If he
moves all his commands to .bash_profile, and then sources that
from his .bashrc, then isn't the result exactly the same?  Either
way, all commands should be executed no matter how bash starts up.

I only mention this because my .bash_profile sources my .bashrc,
and has done so on many different platforms for the past 18 years,
and I've never had a problem with it.  Although in my case it
checks for and sources $HOME/.bashrc while he was using ~/.bashrc.
Not only my .bash_profile, but every .bash_profile and .bashrc at
RPI was setup this way.  Tens of thousands of users, and I've never
heard of anyone who had a problem with it.

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu