Incorrect commandline history with bash

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Sun Sep 21 23:31:23 UTC 2008

On Sep 21, 2008, at 2:52 PM, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
>> The following are the contents of my .bash_profile and .bashrc:
>>
>> #.bash_profile :
>> [ -f ~/.bashrc ] && source ~/.bashrc
>> #end-of-file
>
> You have this backwards.  ~/.bashrc should contain something like
> this:
>
> if [ -f "${HOME}/.bash_profile" ]
> then
> source "${HOME}/.bash_profile"
> fi

Jeremy, I'm not sure what version of FreeBSD you are using but I'd
like to point out that in 6.2 and 6.3-REL his version is correct and
yours will not work.

.bashrc is not sourced on login on any of my hosts.  I have ".
~/.bashrc" in my .bash_profile.  And I just commented it out,
and .bash_profile environment was set up, and the stuff in .bashrc was
not.

Is this perhaps an X versus SSH login sort of thing?  I don't know.
We have no X environment, this is entirely logging in via SSH.

--
Jo Rhett
and other randomness