OPTIONS handling doesn't seem to work fully in dependencies anymore

Alex Dupre ale at FreeBSD.org
Thu Sep 18 19:18:21 UTC 2008

John Baldwin wrote:
> Trust me, since I rebuild from scratch all the time, I quite remember when
> options were first added and I'd kick off a build of kde or some such
> overnight and check my screen session in the morning only find it hadn't
> build hardly anything b/c it had popped up the option screen for gettext. :)

Me, too, really :-) But kde3 meta-port doesn't use the OPTIONS
framework, even if it displays the dialog box. And when the OPTIONS
framework was added, very few ports actually used it, so it was very
very rare to incur in *direct* dependencies between two OPTIONS-enabled
ports. The kde4 meta-port now uses it, so it became obvious that
something wasn't working as expected when you tried to build it.

> I wonder why it has to be this hackish btw.  Could config-conditional simply
> be in the list of targets before 'fetch' or some such?

I thought the same thing, probably yes, but I dunno why it was added in
such way from the beginning, so I tried to create the simplest and
surely working patch maintaining the current workflow.

--
Alex Dupre