Source install to look like installed package

Peter Pentchev roam at ringlet.net
Thu Sep 18 06:46:29 UTC 2008

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 04:40:59PM -0400, Francisco Reyes wrote:
> Matthew Seaman writes:
>
> > You mean you want to generate a /var/db/pkg/portname-1.2.3
> > directory with appropriate contents so you can wrangle a bunch
> > of files already on your hard drive as if they were a port?
>
> Yes.
>
> > Actually, that's pretty much what the ports system does when you
> > do an install from source.  Check out the commands the 'do-package'
> > target runs as shown in /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk
>

> Ok.
>
> > Submitting PRs with updates to bring the FreePascal port up to date
> > will earn you karma points...
>
> I am thinking perhaps start out with a "binary" port or a package until I
> get familiar with the port system.

In most cases that's actually a bit harder than doing a simple port :)
Of course, there are applications that do not lend themselves to
porting simply, but in most cases even the "Quick Porting" procedure
described in the Porters Handbook[1] is enough to get you a working,
albeit not picture-perfect, package.

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam at ringlet.net    roam at cnsys.bg    roam at FreeBSD.org
You have, of course, just begun reading the sentence that you have just finished reading.