pointyhat sparc64

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Tue Sep 16 23:44:10 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 01:44:49AM +0100, Daniel Austin MBCS wrote:
> Is there anything I can do to assist getting more ports/packages tested
> (or the pointyhat cluster running faster) ?

I'm not sure I ever answered this email (I am going through the backlog
today).  I hope you did not get discouraged by the lack of response.

We are always on the lookout for some more UltraSparc-II machines to add
to the build cluster.  The fastest things we have are e4500s right now.
(There are 3 of those, 5 Netra 1s, and some other misc. stuff).

> I had a quick look at your crash logs for the netras... It seems they
> have some issues with the ATA controller (atapci0 interrupt storm) - you
> only appear to use it for the cdrom drive - perhaps simply disabling via
> the boot loader would prevent the kernel panic (and get the machines
> into the build cluster)?

No, the machines are set up to pxeboot.

acd0: CDRW <TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-7002Bc/1110> at ata2-master UDMA33
IOMMU fault virtual address 0xc3008000
panic: pcib: uncorrectable DMA error AFAR 0x1fc5c020 AFSR
0x270000ff80000000
cpuid = 0
KDB: enter: panic
[thread pid 11 tid 100003 ]
Stopped at      kdb_enter+0x80: ta              %xcc, 1
db

However, you are right to point out ata.  The T1 200s use a different
chipset than the T1 105s.  (There are also other differences between
them, so it may not necessarily be the cause.)

However, you are right that this is a fairly low-cost thing to look
at.  I'll try it and let you know.  (I've been short-cycled on time
to look at this for a while, as you might be able to tell from the
fact it took me this long to get around to looking at your email).

Again, don't get discouraged, there is progress on the sparc64 front,
albeit slow.  I am running the 7.1R package builds right now.

mcl