devel/libtool15 unconditionally hardcodes autodetected textproc/gsed

Peter Pentchev roam at ringlet.net
Tue Sep 9 13:34:09 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 05:20:06PM +0400, Dmitry Marakasov wrote:
> * Alexey Shuvaev (shuvaev at physik.uni-wuerzburg.de) wrote:
>
> > While the ports are in freeze just want to point to the problem I have
> > encountered. Not sure if this is a critical bug, just a bug or not
> > a bug at all (so, no PR yet).
> This is definitely a bug, so better send-pr for this issue not to be
> lost while we're in freeze.

I think Alexey's point might have been that this should be fixed during
the freeze, before 6.4 and 7.1 ship with the ports tree - and I think it
might be a good idea, if libtool uses sed (resp. "gsed") in any files in
the already-built target application / library.  From a quick look,
that does not seem to be the case, but if it is, it's important.

What I mean is the following scenario:
- libfoo uses libtool for its build
- libfoo depends on libbar which depends on GNU sed
- during libfoo's build, libbar is built, thus gsed is installed
- during libfoo's build, libtool detects gsed installed and "remembers" it
- in libfoo's binary package, there is a shell script that uses "gsed",
  because libtool "knows" gsed is present on the system
- an unsuspecting user installs the libfoo binary package without previously
  building libbar
- the unsuspecting user gets a shell script that tries to run "gsed" and
  fails.

Of course, this all hinges on the idea that libtool uses "gsed" in any
files that are part of the binary package.  From a quick look, the .la
files do not contain any shell commands apart from variable assignments,
but I'm not too familiar with libtool and I don't know if there are any
other files that it might generate in the binary package.

If libtool may put "gsed" into libfoo's binary package, this should be
fixed before the freeze.  If libtool only uses "gsed" during libfoo's
build, then it is not a critical problem.

Of course, if Dmitry is more familiar with libtool than I am, and he
knows that libtool does not leave any such files, then I've just wasted
everybody's time with unneeded idle speculation, for which I apologize :)

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam at ringlet.net    roam at cnsys.bg    roam at FreeBSD.org
No language can express every thought unambiguously, least of all this one.