rsync with acls

Greg Byshenk freebsd at byshenk.net
Fri Oct 31 08:41:31 PDT 2008

I am experiencing a problem attempting to use rsync on systems with
extended ACLs enabled.

The ACLs flag works, but when it is used, the mtime of the files on
on the receiving system are set to the current time.  This is a bit
annoying in itself, but creates a larger problem because any later
rsync actions on the same files see the files as _different_, meaning
that _all_ the files are recopied -- which more or less defeats the
purpose of using rsync.

Yes, I understand that setting ACLs on a file changes the mtime of the
file.  But, as rsync is able to (re)set mtimes I would think that this
shouldn't should be an issue when using rsync.

Is this a bug or a feature?

--
greg byshenk  -  gbyshenk at byshenk.net  -  Leiden, NL