speed up ports install

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Sun Oct 19 13:39:36 UTC 2008

On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 09:21:18AM -0400, Eitan Adler wrote:

> I have a simple idea to make use the threads without any possibility of
> conflicts.  I am sure there will be someone to point out a negative, but
> I don't see any.
> When you do "make install" launch a "make fetch-recursive" thread at the
> same time.  That way you don't need to wait for the files to
> install->fetch the next one->install it->fetch the next one...
> For those who don't want that you could get the old behavior with "make
> onlyinstall".  I currently do this with a "make" wrapper script and I
> find installation to be faster.

What about this scenario?

# cd /usr/ports/friendly/apes
# make install

<forked copy of 'make fetch-recursive' is launched in background>
<fetch for friendly/apes finishes, "make" starts>
<"make" finds a dependency which isn't installed, friendly/dogs>
<"make" begins to build friendly/dogs, but friendly/dogs is still being
  downloaded from fetch-recursive, because the source is very large;
  say, 30MBytes>
<"make" for friendly/dogs forks another fetch-recursive......>

What I'm trying to say is, there would need to be mechanisms put in
place to cause the entire build process to block (halt/pause) until the
backgrounded fetch-recursive has completed.