Xorg - minimal

Florent Thoumie flz at xbsd.org
Sat Oct 18 17:56:27 UTC 2008

On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 4:48 AM, Peter Jeremy
<peterjeremy at optushome.com.au>wrote:

> On 2008-Oct-17 10:32:41 -0400, Eitan Adler <eitanadlerlist at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >Here is the list I generated from pkg_info when I was first able to run
> >the X server. If anyone is able to run "startx" with fewer ports please
> >let me know.
>
> You should be able to get by without any gnome baggage.
>
> >How can I handle the video drivers?  Not all systems need all drivers.
> >I don't want to depend on xorg-drivers, however you can't get X to start
> >without a video driver.  Can some kind of check be done in the Makefile?
>
> Unless you actually install all the drivers, go through the
> configuration process to work out which ones to use and then uninstall
> the rest, the best you could probably do is to run pciconf and use a
> config file to map PCI IDs to potential video drivers.  Some things to
> keep in mind with this approach are:
> - pciconf has to run as root and so has to be inside the su part.
> - Some video cards have different potential drivers (eg Intel, nVIDIA).
> - People may have multiple, different video cards present.
> - Several drivers are virtual (eg dummy, fbdev)

Or you can just depend on xorg-drivers, and let people select the drivers
they want if they use ports. They will get 8 of them (instead of the whole
bunch) if they use packages, this will be down to 5 once the ports are
upgraded to xorg 7.4.

--
Florent Thoumie
flz at FreeBSD.org