It is illogical layout of ports

Dmitry Marakasov amdmi3 at amdmi3.ru
Sat Oct 11 14:24:58 UTC 2008

As I've said in a followup to the PR:

Those are not illogical. I'd say, sometimes inconsistent, but not
illogical for sure.

> 1.
> misc/k3b-i18n
> www/firefox-i18n
> mail/thunderbird-i18n
Why's those illogical? Where would you place them?

misc/k3b -> misc/k3b-i18n
www/firefox -> www/firefox-i18n
mail/thunderbird -> mail/thunderbird-i18n

Since we don't have i18n category, those are nowhere better to place
to. What I find inconsistent however, is:

uk-aspell: /usr/ports/ukrainian/aspell
vi-aspell: /usr/ports/vietnamese/aspell
, but
yi-aspell: /usr/ports/textproc/yi-aspell
zu-aspell: /usr/ports/textproc/zu-aspell

Still, I don't see better solution.

> 2.
> multimedia/xmms-skins
> x11-themes/audacious-skins
> multimedia/smplayer-themes
${PORTNAME}-(skins|themes) logically belongs to both ${PORTNAME}'s
category and x11-themes.

Arguments for the former:
- Be where it's parent reside. So `ls | grep xmms` will show both xmms
  and all relevant skins/plugins/addons/mods/whatever (that's very weak
  argument actually, as audio format plugins already belong to audio,
  video format plugins belong to multimedia/, network plugins belong to
  net/ etc.)
- x11-themes feels more likely for x11 wm or x11 toolkits themes.
Arguments for the latter:
- ${PORTNAME}'s category is not polluted. Say, xmms-skins have nothing
  to do with multimedia actually.
- All skins are in the same place. And you can ls x11-themes/ | gerp
  bluecurve to find matchign themes for different apps/toolkits/wm's.

I'd say I'm for the latter, as both arguments for the former are pretty
weak. Though I'm used to have mplayer-skins beside mplayer.

> 3.
> x11/gsynaptics
> sysutils/ksynaptics
Here I agree. Inconsistency again, but ?synaptics belong both to x11 and
sysutils.

> 4.
> net-im/echat (irc/echat?)
It's some kind of broadcast LAN chat, not irc. Doesn't quite feels like
IM for me as well, as I associate IM with user-to-user chat like ICQ
or Jabber. Althrough it fits well into Wikipedia's definition of IM:

"Instant messaging (IM) is a form of real-time communication between two
or more people based on typed text. The text is conveyed via computers
connected over a network such as the Internet."

---

As you can see, all those are located in pretty logical places (at
least without apparently more suitable places), althrough some
subjects may belong to different categories at once.
Anyway, I don't think it's good idea to move ports around - specific
port will still reside in single category of multiple it probably
logically belongs to, so it'll only produce useless noise without
any gain.

--
Dmitry Marakasov   .   55B5 0596 FF1E 8D84 5F56  9510 D35A 80DD F9D2 F77D
amdmi3 at amdmi3.ru  ..:  jabber: amdmi3 at jabber.ru    http://www.amdmi3.ru