[RELENG 6] imake-6 build failure[RESOLVED via sudoers]

Sean Bruno sbruno at miralink.com
Wed Oct 1 23:03:06 UTC 2008

Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 07:47:21PM -0700, Sean Bruno wrote:
>
>> Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

>>> Note that ports/devel/imake-6 was migrated to devel/image 16 months ago.
>>>
>>> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/devel/imake-6/Attic/Makefile
>>>

>> Ok, I'm not sure what is going on then.  Help?
>>
>> [sbruno at desdemona /usr/ports]$ sudo portupgrade -aP
>> ** Port marked as IGNORE: devel/imake-6:
>>        "Makefile", line 63: if-less endif
>> ** Proceeding anyway since NO_IGNORE is defined
>> /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/pkgversion.rb:41:in `initialize': :
>>        from /usr/local/sbin/portupgrade:645:in `new'
>>        from /usr/local/sbin/portupgrade:645:in `main'
>>        from /usr/local/sbin/portupgrade:613:in `each'
>>        from /usr/local/sbin/portupgrade:613:in `main'
>>        from /usr/local/sbin/portupgrade:588:in `catch'
>>        from /usr/local/sbin/portupgrade:588:in `main'
>>        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/optparse.rb:1303:in `call'
>>        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/optparse.rb:1303:in `parse_in_order'
>>         ... 7 levels...
>>        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/optparse.rb:785:in `initialize'
>>        from /usr/local/sbin/portupgrade:229:in `new'
>>        from /usr/local/sbin/portupgrade:229:in `main'
>>        from /usr/local/sbin/portupgrade:2208
>>

> I can't help with the portupgrade craziness that's going on there (I do
> not use portupgrade), but it's obvious it's induced by the Makefile
> being broken.
>
> The fact you still have ports/devel/imake-6 indicates:
>
> 1) Outdated ports tree,
> 2) A corrupt or incorrect /var/db/sup/ports-all tree (if you remove
>    this directory, you will need to rm -fr /usr/ports/* as well)
> 3) When building the machine you chose "ports" from the list of things
>    to install (from CD/DVD/FTP/whatever), but never "adopted" them.  The
>    "adopted" ordeal is explained in the cvsup documentation (in this
>    case, also applies to csup):
>    http://www.cvsup.org/faq.html#caniadopt
> 4) Read-only filesystem where /usr/ports resides (e.g. csup won't work),
> 5) Bizarre file flags on parts of the ports tree (e.g. schg set on
>    some ports for some reason; maybe some chflags -R script went crazy),
> 6) Corrupt filesystem (boot into single-user and do fsck -y.  And yes,
>    the single-user part is important).
>
> Item #3 is why I advocate folks do not choose "src" and "ports" from
> their installation media unless absolutely forced to, and to simply do a
> full csup once the system is up for the first time.

Just to close the loop on this.  I discovered that my update of sudo in
ports
was the initiating factor in this issue.

I am not well versed in FreeBSD system administration and recently came
to the realization that I hadn't been updating ports on my system.
Probably,
they hadn't been updated since 6.3 was released.

So, when I updated ports, a new sudo was installed.  The cuurent version of
sudo changed the behavior of how environment variables are passed from
the calling shell to the sudo shell.  The previous version of sudo defaulted
to passing ALL environment variables except those that are excluded to the
sudo shell.  The updated version of sudo defaults to passing NO environment
variables except those that are included.

Since I didn't merge my sudoers file correctly(or at all!) I effectively
eliminated
all environment variables from my sudo invocation!  Once I understood
what was
happening, it was easily resolved by merging the example sudoers file in
/usr/local/etc/sudoers.default  with my version of the sudoers file.

Sorry for the noise for those who were trying to help me.

--
Sean Bruno
MiraLink Corporation
MSN: sbruno at miralink.com