Fwd: using pkgdb

Garrett Cooper yanefbsd at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 13:13:53 PDT 2008

On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 9:15 AM, Chuck Robey <chuckr at chuckr.org> wrote:

> Parv wrote:
> > in message <47EBDAB2.1050107 at chuckr.org>,
> > wrote Chuck Robey thusly...
> >>
> >> I'm using pkgdb because I wanted to try portupgrade, and it
> >> required it.
> >
> > portupgrade does not require pkgdb.  pkgdb is part of portupgrade;
> > portupgrade installs pkgdb.
>
> I don't doubt that, but portupgrade itself tossed out the instruction to
> me to
> run pkgdb -F, to fix something (I don't know what).  I didn't just want to
> run
> something which has such a confusing man page.  I ran it under
> instructions, and
> now it's asking me questions which I can't figure out the effects of any
> of the
> offered actions will be.
>
> Everyone seems to want to toss me hazy hints instead of what those options
> actually accomplish; I'm beginning to think that the only folks who are
> answering are the folks who don't really know the answer.
>

> >   - Parv

y => yes, I want the stale dependency to map to the proposed one.
n => no, that proposed replacement is pure poppycock.
a => who knows... [the Ruby code doesn't make sense for my virgin eyes -- I
only do shell scripts, Perl, and some TCL :)..]

The line of referring to is /usr/local/sbin/pkgdb:646.

-Garrett