Comments please: Ports 2.0 SoC application to Google

Aryeh M. Friedman aryeh.friedman at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 11:05:02 PDT 2008

Tobias Roth wrote:
> Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:
>

>>   Kip Macy <kip.macy at gmail.com> has agreed to be the mentor for the
>> project if accepted as a SoC project provided that no other suitable
>> mentor can be found.   For detailed development schedule see the
>> "Detailed Description" portion of the this application.   I have used
>> FreeBSD since 1995 and before returning to school worked as a research
>> scientist and director of R&D for a very early pioneer of streaming
>> media which was a 100% FreeBSD shop and required substantial
>> modifications to the network stack and file subsytems of the kernel
>> (most of which have been since incorporated into the mainstream TCP/IP
>> stack/kernel and/or made unnecessary by them).   See resume for more
>> detail.
>>

> So, who will be the mentor? You or Kip?

Kip is the mentor but since before returning to school, as I said, I
have had executive level responsibilities so am able to work with
minimal supervision.

>>   Key Milestones and deadlines:
>>
>>       Milestone                Deadline
>>       ------------------------------------------------
>>       Complete the build skeleton        Week 1

Demostrate ability to compile and test all components using placeholder
code.
>>       Complete the graph library        Week 3

Demonstrate ability to construct dependency DAG and do a DFS, BFS and
Topo Search on it.
>>       Dependency scanning            Week 5

Create an accurate build order list for some subset of ports with the
minimum some non-root node sharing common dependencies.

>>       Demonstration of dry run over xorg and    Week 6
>>        items from feature 6

Produce a completely accurate build order and echo the appropriate
commands that would build each port
>>       Demonstration of building an         Week 7
>>       non-cyclical ports graph

Show the systems ability to install and update some port that has no
common ancestors
>>       Alpha test of xorg build        Week 9

Xorg builds without problem on my machine

>>       Beta test of xorg build            Week 11

Xorg builds without problem on at least 3 other configurations beyond my
machine.

>>       Complete API and theoretical         Week 12
>>       documentation

Document all public methods and give enough theortical background so
that a module developer will not inadvertently break the system.

See in line comments.  General comments from my R&D experience I have
learned to leave milestones as vague as possible because by the very
nature of R&D you generally don't know the outcome before you try to
create it.