net/skype - a few port related issues...

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Tue Mar 25 08:45:01 PDT 2008

Hi Beech  et al,

First of all, thanks so much for getting the latest linux version working on
FBSD :)

Some issues:

- the url to get the OSS file isn't correct - the correct one it is now

http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-linux-oss

If for some reason it doesn't work, i am happy to provide hosting for the file
(if allowed by Skype's license of course).

I downloaded the file to /tmp, moved the old skype_static-1.4.0.118-oss.tar.bz2
out of the way, moved the new one to /usr/ports/distfiles,and it installed just
fine.

- After following the upgrade to linux-base-fc-6 , a portinstall -p net/skype
would try to reinstall fc-4. This didn't happen when I did the manual process
( download of bz2 as per above, make clean; make ; make package ). No idea why
is this... I even restarted to make sure I had a clean linux environment.

The new version with updated linux environment seems to be working quite well -
on an initial test I can confirm that on exit it doesn't leave behind any
process stuck ... thanks!!

Beto
{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"Too strong a strong vision can kill you - you'll walk right over the edge,
firm in the knowledge of the path in front of you." Linus Torvalds

Warned.