Two questions about upgrade problems with portmaster

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Mon Mar 17 23:12:53 UTC 2008

Peter Olsson wrote:
> I just did my first big upgrade with portmaster (version 2.1).
> Most of the upgrades went well, but I have two problems.
>
> 1. Is it possible to get portmaster to accept a conflicting port
>    instead of the dependency port?

Yes, if both ports have proper CONFLICTS lines. Fortunately someone who
is familiar with your specific port(s) gave you a suggestion to try to
handle your specific issue.

> 2. For some ports, portmaster seems to get stuck in a loop on
>    "Waiting on fetch & checksum". Google pointed me to a
>    portmaster loop back in 2006, but I found nothing recent.
>    Here is one example, which I let run for more than ten minutes
>    before hitting ctrl-c. The installed version of tk is tk-8.4.17,2.
>
> ===>>> Waiting on fetch & checksum for x11-toolkits/tk84 <<<===
> ===>  Found saved configuration for tk-8.4.14_4,2
> => MD5 Checksum OK for tk8.4.18-src.tar.gz.
> => SHA256 Checksum OK for tk8.4.18-src.tar.gz.

The only way this could happen is if the flag file that portmaster is
looking for never got deleted by the child process for some reason
(which shouldn't be possible). I've never seen this happen myself, so
I'm not even sure what to suggest here. Do you have the TMPDIR
environment variable set to something unusual?

Doug