port old configure style. How to do changes permanent?

Ion-Mihai Tetcu itetcu at FreeBSD.org
Sun Mar 16 15:09:36 UTC 2008

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 10:03:37 -0500
"Scot Hetzel" <swhetzel at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/16/08, Peter Volkov <pva at gentoo.org> wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> >  I'm sorry if my question is too simple, but I've tried to google without
> >  any result.
> >
> >  I need to install multimedia/ffmpeg with some custom configuration on
> >  FreeBSD 7.0. Some other ports are configure through `make config` but
> >  this one seems to have older configuration technology. I've read
> >  Makefile and seems that it's possible to build it with WITH_AMR_NB and
> >  other options. So seems if I run
> >  # make WITH_AMR_NB=y
> >  I'll build ffmpeg with AMR support. But how to make this change
> >  permanent so next time I build updated version ffmpeg it'll builds with
> >  AMR support without requiring me to remember all WITH* options I've
> >  passed to make? Is it possible at all?
> >
> >  Thank you for you help in advance,
>
> There are several way to accomplish this:
>
> 1. add it to /etc/make.conf
> 2. install sysutils/portsconf and the variable to PREFIX/etc/ports.conf

This two being more or less equivalent, the later being easier to use
and keeps /etc/make.conf uncluttered.

> 3. if you use a ports management tool, check its documentation to see
> if it has a ports configuration file.

If you go this way be warned that evidently the vars you set will only
be applied when you use that tool. So if you change the tool or build
the port manually you have to write them by hand again.

Go with #2

FreeBSD committer -> itetcu at FreeBSD.org, PGP Key ID 057E9F8B493A297B