ports/113132 (make -j patch)

Benjamin Lutz mail at maxlor.com
Wed Mar 12 17:56:12 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 12 March 2008 16:47:25 RW wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 13:11:51 +0100
> Benjamin Lutz <mail at maxlor.com> wrote:
> > This patch has been sitting in GNATS for a couple of months now:
> >
> > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/113132
> >
> > I've received a few mails from people reporting success, and none
> > reporting that bad things have happened. Is it possible to get this
> > committed?
>
> I'm not keen on the way MAKE_JOBS_WHITELIST is implemented as a list.
> It seems to be out of step with the way similar problems are handled
> elsewhere. I would have expected a simple flag that can be set per
> port using portsconf, pkgtools.conf, etc.

portconf and pkgtools.conf are files that are used by tools external to
the base ports system (portmaster and portupgrade). The ports makefiles
do not read them. The traditional place to put port configuration info
is /etc/make.conf.

Since using the whitelist is not intended to be an officially supported
feature, but only exists to make life a bit easier for people who are
debugging the ports or willing to experiment, I expect that on 99% of
FreeBSD systems, the whitelist will not be specified at all. I
therefore see no reason to increase the complexity of the whitelist
parsing code by introducing non-make-compatible syntax.

> This is more of a bikeshed issue, but the term MAKE_JOBS reflects
> implementation (gmake -j) rather than function, and its meaning isn't
> obvious the way something like  PARALLEL_BUILD would be.

The patch used the name PARALLEL in a previous incarnation; MAKE_JOBS
was chosen to avoid misunderstandings and name conflicts with ongoing
work to allow several ports to be built in parallel, independently of
each other. MAKE_JOBS might not have as nice a ring to it, but the
intention is clearer.

Cheers
Benjamin