interactive ports - the plague

Ion-Mihai Tetcu itetcu at FreeBSD.org
Mon Mar 3 21:14:05 UTC 2008

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 15:33:00 -0500
Wesley Shields <wxs at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 03:01:00PM -0500, Vivek Khera wrote:
> >
> > On Mar 3, 2008, at 12:27 PM, Wesley Shields wrote:
> >
> >> I know mail/postfix asks if it should activate itself in
> >> /etc/mail/mailer.conf.
> >
> > I'll take that as a bug report :-)
>
> I didn't intend for that to be a bug report.  :)

It happened to me to start a largish portupgrade and find it stuck on
that particular thingy. I think it doesn't prompt it for package
building. What about making it an OPTION ? On first install you need to
configure postfix so it shouldn't be on by default (personally it's the
fifth or so port I install ...), but on portupgrades everything
will work.

> > Though I'm not sure which way it should default, on BATCH.  And
> > does BATCH apply to package install as well?
>
> Honestly, I have not put much thought into it.  I was just pointing
> out that some ports require post-installation questions to be
> answered.
>
> Thanks for your work on postfix, it's always just worked for me.

Indeed!
From the ports I use I consider it to be one of the best maintained.
Many thanks.