Resolution: Portmanager stuck in a loop

RW fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com
Mon Jun 30 18:21:35 UTC 2008

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 12:25:26 -0400
"Josh Hanson" <JoshHanson at capriomgt.com> wrote:

> After some very helpful further discussions with Robert, I tried
> running "portmanger -u -p -l -y" to re-build everything, with no
> success. Further digging established that my pkg_info database was
> very confused. (For example, pkg_info reported that cdrtools is
> required by xorg-server and lots of x drivers, which it clearly is
> not.)

No, that's probably correct, but out of date. A lot of xorg ports can
optionally depend on hal, and hal used to depend on cdrtools.

> How it got that bad on such a fresh system is a mystery. I don't know
> what I could have done to mess it up.

Assuming that it is messed-up.

> On a whim, I tried running "pkgdb -F" and "pkgdb -fU", but it didn't
> make anything better.
>
> Robert suggested that I run pkg_delete -a to start from scratch.

Probably for the best, I think if you are planning to keep the ports
up to date, it's best to skip the on-disk packages and start from
scratch, that way you can skip many months of UPDATING entries. If you
are in a hurry you can start from the 7-stable packages instead.