Creating New Port - Question about Installation

Schiz0 schiz0phrenic21 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 22:18:25 UTC 2008

Hey,

I'm attempting to create a new port for btsh:
http://btsh.sourceforge.net/
The website isn't finished yet, but it's a command-line interface for
torrent websites.

Anyway, the original .tar.bz2 that the author wrote has no configure
script or makefile. All it has is an "INSTALL" script. The INSTALL
script prompts for a directory to install to, then copies the proper
files over and sets some permissions.

I'm wondering how I can create a port out of this. I read the porters
handbook and developed a Makefile so far:

--------------------
# Ports Makefile for:  btsh
# Date created:        June 26 2008
# Whom:                Schiz0
#
# $FreeBSD$
#
PORTNAME=btsh
PORTVERSION=0.1.1
CATEGORIES=net-p2p shells
# Eventually the project is moving over to sourceforge
MASTER_SITES=http://labgecko.com/btsh/
MAINTAINER=Schiz0phrenic21 at gmail.com
COMMENT=BitTorrent SHell
BUILD_DEPENDS=bash:${PORTSDIR}/shells/bash
BUILD_DEPENDS=wget:${PORTSDIR}/ftp/wget
USE_BZIP2=yes
NO_INSTALL_MANPAGES=yes
.include <bsd.port.mk>

Basically, I'm wondering how I can do this. Should I set NO_BUILD and
HAS_CONFIGURE to prevent FreeBSD from trying to build and configure it
itself?

Also, is this port in the correct cateorgies? This is not a BitTorrent
client, it's just a cli interface to the torrent websites. It lets
users read the forums, search for torrents, reply to inbox PMs, etc.

This is my first attempt at building a port, so any
pointers/suggestions/etc will be extremely helpful.

Thank you!