Issues with portmaster

Dominic Fandrey kamikaze at bsdforen.de
Mon Jun 23 07:26:37 UTC 2008

Doug Barton wrote:
> Dominic Fandrey wrote:
>> Doug Barton wrote:
>
>>> Portmaster uses CONFLICTS to avoid this issue. This isn't the first
>>> time I've heard this complaint about the java ports. I'm wondering if
>>> glewis could shed some light on why they don't have proper CONFLICTS
>>> set.
>>
>> Because they don't conflict. /usr/local/bin/javac is a script that
>> selects
>> one of the installed JAVA VMs, dependant on what is available,
>> environment
>> settings and a make variable that can be changed in make.conf.
>
> AFAICT, javac isn't relevant to the issue of whether the various jdk
> ports conflict with each other. It's just a convenient way to handle the
> dependency question within the ports framework.

JDK Ports don't conflict. None of them. And because many Java developers
have several JDKs installed, noone will ever put a CONFLICT line into
JDK port.

The only way to resolve this is to detect weather a dependency is required
in the same way as a port does.

I suggest to check for the existence of the file and when the file is
from a different port, 'pkg_info -W' should be called and whatever turns
out to be the origin, should be entered as a dependency in /var/db/pkg.