regression-test

pfgshield-freebsd at yahoo.com pfgshield-freebsd at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 19 16:20:59 UTC 2008

Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> In particular, running tests of what duration would be considered
> appropriate?  E.g., building audio/flac takes a minute here, running
> the tests sixteen, which I suspect would be excessive.

FWIW, I started adding those regression-test targets to many ports because they are extremely useful: while trying to update to the latest coreutils I found everything apparently built but everything was actually broken. Now I am finding bugs in some ports that I thought were fine.

It's good to use it for (short) things that actually test functionality. Using it for benchmarks is really NOT a good idea: it takes a lot of time and also the results from the build cluster can vary hugely to make them of any value.

Pedro.