print/pdftk: Lonely orphan port needs attention (print/pdftk broken on 7.0 after gettext work (appx))

Howard Goldstein hg at queue.to
Thu Jun 19 11:31:15 UTC 2008

pdftk was a handy utility for splitting and combining bits of .pdfs.
Given a list of .pdfs it could extract page ranges of input .pdfs and
combine them to produce a new .pdf.

Breakage may have been inevitable since pdftk is so old and
unmaintained... It's also i386 only which seems to have scared off
potential maintainers, at least that's how it looks perusing gnats.

I'm not savvy enough to figure out why pdftk is locking up to where only
a -9 will kill it.  It's very repeatable (one input file, one output
file, immediate lockup).   Through truss it looks like it's waiting for
a child to terminate but I'm not savvy enough to trace what happens to
forked off processes.

Would some kind soul take a look at this?  Alternately, are there other
ports that support pulling page ranges out of pdfs to generate new pdfs?