Question about ports adding cronjobs

Paul Schmehl pschmehl_lists at tx.rr.com
Wed Jun 18 00:40:22 UTC 2008

--On June 17, 2008 3:24:11 PM -0700 David Hawthorne
<dhawth at bitgravity.com> wrote:

> I have a piece of software I've been working on that gathers stats about
> the local host and shoves them into rrd files, with an accompanying web
> front-end page that generates pretty graphs from the RRDs on demand.  I
> have a package done up for it, and I'd like to add it to the ports tree
> eventually, but I'm stuck on how to get it to automagically add the
> cronjob to have the stats gathering script run every five minutes, and I
> don't know of any ports that add cronjobs off the top of my head to go
> look at.
>
> Is there an approved standard for doing this?  It doesn't have to be as
> root, either, it can run under a different user.  Any advice on how to
> get the port to add the user (and remove it properly when the port is
> deinstalled) properly and securely would be appreciated as well.

Look at mail/courier/files/crontab.in,
mail/exim/files/POST-INSTALL_NOTES.clamd and mail/mailman/pkg-install (and
those ports' associated files) for some examples of ways to deal with cron
jobs in a port.

Paul Schmehl
If it isn't already obvious,
my opinions are my own and not