Question about ports adding cronjobs

David Hawthorne dhawth at bitgravity.com
Tue Jun 17 22:57:13 UTC 2008

I have a piece of software I've been working on that gathers stats
about the local host and shoves them into rrd files, with an
accompanying web front-end page that generates pretty graphs from the
RRDs on demand.  I have a package done up for it, and I'd like to add
it to the ports tree eventually, but I'm stuck on how to get it to
automagically add the cronjob to have the stats gathering script run
every five minutes, and I don't know of any ports that add cronjobs
off the top of my head to go look at.

Is there an approved standard for doing this?  It doesn't have to be
as root, either, it can run under a different user.  Any advice on how
to get the port to add the user (and remove it properly when the port
is deinstalled) properly and securely would be appreciated as well.

Bonus points for providing the lines that would need to go into a
CONTENTS file for the package, because that's what I'm working with
right now for testing it on multiple machines.

Thanks!