devel/gettext notification in /usr/ports/UPDATING

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Fri Jun 6 17:36:55 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 06:38:51PM +0200, Dominic Fandrey wrote:
> Dominic Fandrey wrote:
> > I don't really understand why it's there and why it's recommending to
> > rebuild
> > all ports.
> >
> > I have 761 ports installed, but only 173 of them depend on gettext, so
> > why should
> > I reinstall more than 530 ports that don't need to be rebuild.
> >
> > What's even worse according to my shell-script pkg_libchk not a single
> > one of
> > the 173 ports depending on gettext needs to be rebuild because of libintl.
>
> Great, all ports depending on devel/gettext got bumped.
>
> My Shell script checks every single library and executable on the system
> with ldd and it says _nothing is amiss_ after upgrading devel/gettext.

And how does it know that all the existing libraries and executables are
completely compatible with the new devel/gettext?

> Now I am condemned to rebuild ~100 ports, even though it is completely
> unnecessary.

Nobody forces you to rebuild them if you do not think it is necessary.

> I do not have to tell you that downloading all the distfiles
> over a GSM connection will take days.

If you already have built the ports once, you will probably have most
of the distfiles already.

> And all this for no reason at all!
>
> What's going on here?
>
> Ldd says it's not necessary. Can anyone really argue with that?

How can ldd determine that it is not necessary?

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson
ertr1013 at student.uu.se