Trying for a duplex printer

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Sun Jun 1 00:30:28 UTC 2008

On 2008-May-07 05:25:04 +1000, Peter Jeremy <peter at server.vk2pj.dyndns.org> wrote:
>On Tue, May 06, 2008 at 12:43:08PM -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
>>1) I can't determine which (if any) of the PIPS ports support the RX680, and
>>2) right now, none of them build because of an error you get about a
>>   linuxwrapper not handling symbol versioning.
>
>This is a bigger issue.  The linuxpluginwrapper maintainer is not
>responding to emails about it so I doubt it will get fixed anytime
>soon.  I've had a quick look at it and decided that I don't understand
>enough about how the symbol aliasing used to work or how the symbol
>versioning broke it.

I finally bit the bullet and used the sledge-hammer approach to get my
pips-scx3500_3600s driver going again.  Basically, I manually built
the driver via its configure script, using a mixture of the
ports/pip800/files patches, contents of ports/pips800/Makefile.pips,
how linuxpluginwrapper worked and bits liberated from glibc.

To get the supplied .so to work, I needed to strip out the
'.gnu.version' and '.gnu.version_r' sections with objcopy and null out
the 'VERNEED', 'VERNEEDNUM' and 'VERSYM' tags in the dynamic segment
using a hex editor.  I checked that I'd found everything by directly
linking pips-scx3500_3600s against the .so (though I installed the
version that dlopen's the .so).

The result works for me but I doubt I can turn it into a port.  I suspect
a similar approach will work for you.

--
Peter Jeremy