Problems with portupgrade && xscreensaver-gnome

RW fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com
Thu Jul 31 14:03:49 UTC 2008

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 08:16:28 -0400
Bill Moran <wmoran at potentialtech.com> wrote:

> > For the same reason that portmaster dies on errors, neither program
> > is omniscient. :)  If ports tools hit a point where it's not clear
> > how to proceed they _should_ stop and get user input. The next
> > thing the users generally say is that it should "somehow" proceed
> > with the rest of the upgrade, finish things that don't rely on the
> > broken bits, etc. Unfortunately that is quite a bit harder to do
> > than you might think, although patches are always welcome.
>
> Understood.  But keep in mind that this was not an error, it was a
> warning.  Perhaps the ports infrastructure doesn't differentiate
> between those two as much as I think.

It's actually nothing to do with the ports infrastructure, this
has no effect on a normal manual build, or on portmaster.

The warning is treated as an error by portupgrade. If you remove
the 2>&1 redirection in line 1463 of portupgrade, the port will be
built. I don't know if it has a good reason for treating writes to
stderr as fatal errors, or not.

No other port uses ".warning", they all use "echo" or IGNORE.