Problems with portupgrade && xscreensaver-gnome

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Wed Jul 30 22:33:11 UTC 2008

> src/
> >> sys/VANQUISH
> >> is
> >>
> >> You need to either enable PAM (recommended) or disable KEYRING by
> >> doing:
> >>  cd /usr/ports/x11/xscreensaver-gnome/; make config
> >
> > Are you saying that I can't portupgrade ANY ports on my system until
> > such time as I make this strange decision?
>
> Why do you think it is a strange decision?
> You have set non-default options that don't make sense and the port is
> warning you about that. Fixing it is quick, easy and painless.

It's a combination of a number of issues:
1) The ports infrastructure shouldn't let you set options that don't make
   sense.  If I can't use keyring without PAM, then why am I allowed to
   set such a thing.  I believe such improvements to the ports structure
   are being worked on by others (based on other conversations I've seen
   on the list) so I won't belabour the point.
2) Why is portupgrade dying on a warning message?  Why does a poor
   decision on one port prevent everything on my system from upgrading?
3) The error from portupgrade does not immediately point me to the easy
   solution, it tricks me into thinking I have to hack the Makefile.

Anyway, I don't know what the correct solution is.  I'm just pointing
out the problem so that people smarter than me can work it out.  I'm
also presenting my viewpoint so those people know how confusing it was
to me.

Hope the information is helpful.

--
Bill Moran