FreeBSD Port: cfengine-2.2.7

Simon Shapiro simon at niftywerks.com
Wed Jul 23 05:50:54 UTC 2008

On Jul 22, 2008, at 10:16 PM, Boris Samorodov wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 21:03:22 -0700 Simon Shapiro wrote:
>
>> Hello there,
>> it appears that an old(ish) bug has come back in the cfengine port?
>> Its compiling with the oldest existing BDB version found on the
>> system.
>> Tested on both 7.0 and 6.3 with the same result.
>
>> Configure says:
>> ===>   cfengine-2.2.7 depends on shared library: db-4.6.0 - found
>> but then 4.0 is linked.
>> I have found this to be perfectly repeatable, and reversable (if old
>> versions are removed, it works with 4.6).
>
>> let me know if i can be of further assistance, and thank you for your
>> time,
>
> Current maintainer is rather unresponsive and Jo Rhett (CCed) is very
> active and responsive about this port.
>
> Jo, can you help here? Thanks!
>

> WBR
> --
> Boris Samorodov (bsam)
> Research Engineer, http://www.ipt.ru Telephone & Internet SP
> FreeBSD committer, http://www.FreeBSD.org The Power To Serve

Thank you Boris.
Some more info from my digging... forgive my complete unfamiliarity,
this is deeper than I usually venture into the workings of the ports
tree.

As far as I can tell, the ports tree makefile (ports/sysutils/
cfengine/Makefile) gets it right, it appears that environment
variables passed to the cfengine configure script (ports/sysutils/
cfengine/work/cfengine-2.2.7/configure) are ignored.
That is, cfengine seems to want the command line argument --with-
berkleydb= and we seem to be passing the information as an
environment variable, which quickly gets overwritten with the string
'default'

The evidence being that the first place i see any reference to the
*old* bdb, is when the cfengine package's configure script says
"checking for BerkeleyDB location in default... Found header in /usr/
local/include/db4"

-Simon Shapiro