Managing bsdpan

David Southwell david at vizion2000.net
Tue Jul 22 13:14:28 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 22 July 2008 05:42:05 Volodymyr Kostyrko wrote:
> David Southwell wrote:
> > The following  portsupgrade reports for bsdpan lead me to ask a few
> > trivial questions  and suggestions (see below)
> >
> > 1. why are some packages listed in the format:
> > - isc/p5-Array-Compare (bsdpan-Array-Compare-1.15)
> > rather than:
> > -  (bsdpan-libwww-perl-5.813)
>
> Ports tree contains the port for the given package and knows its correct
> name.
>
> > Is this indicative of an inconsistency in my system administration or
> > inconsistencies between package make files?
>
> Maybe.

to which option does your maybe apply??

> > 2. There is another question on similar lines because some packages
> > helpfully show the hierarchy in the ports tree etc:
> >  devel/***
> > rather than simply
> > ***
>
> Why 'devel/'? There's no confidence that thees packages have their
> corresponding ports.

I do not think you read  carefully.
Some packages are reported for example as:
- devel/p5-Devel-Symdump (bsdpan-Devel-Symdump-2.08)
others as
-  (bsdpan-DB_File-1.817)

In other words some show the BSDPAN package location in the port hierarchy
others do not. The former method seems more useful.

> Please note that bsdpan-* is not a port name or part of it. It's the
> name of installed package.

I do not agree. BSDPAN is the name that is used by and referred to in freebsd
documentation as the system by which cpan ports are incorporated into the
frebsd ports tree.  The package are the ports. bsdpan  is not the name of a
port.

> > 3. In regard to bsdpan apropos generates:
> > # apropos bsdpan
> > bsdpan: nothing appropriate
> > #
>
> True. Perl packages installed directly from bsdpan or from tarballs
> automatically do create corresponding package entry in '/var/db/pkg'.
> How kind of them, really.
>
> > 4. A search on freebsd website under bsdpan brings reference to the
> > inclusion of bsdpan in the ports distribution but not to any
> > documentation on its use.

I think I have not explained clearly. I did not mean how to use the individual
port but how to manage perl ports that are installed via BSDPAN. For example
the appropriateness of "holding" packages.

> I'm not a perl junkie. Try hitting CPAN instead.
>
> > 5. # locate bsdpan brings a list of bsdpan packages in /var/db/pkg but no
> > other files documentation etc.
>
> True. See 3.
>
> > 7 If something does exist could it be incorporated into the ports tree
> > e.g ports/BSDPAN_README for holding general guidelines about using the
> > BSDPAN and covering such issues as advice about holding packages etc.
>
> Not by me, really. Try to invetigate this and write it down then propose
> it for inclusion.
>
> > 9. Would not a current index of BSDPAN ports  e.g ports/BSDPAN_INDEX
> > including a short description also be useful?
>
> Reply hazy. Ports ain't really the correct place for this staff. Try
> hitting CPAN.

freebsd ports may not have an equivalent for all items listed in cpan. I am
thinking of simply an index which list the bsdpan path/portname showing the
equivalent cpan port names & versions, This file could be updated whenever a
bsdpan port is committed and maintained in the same way as ports/ UPDATING.

> PS: Personally I don't accept the possibility of installation of
> unhandled / unmaintained software (e.g. not found in ports) on any
> hardware supervised by me. Any piece of junk which need to be installed
> and maintained should have a corresponding person, responsible for it
> "freshness" and usability.

Agree I do not htink anyone has suggested that - I do not think you have read
carefully.
 -- The assumption is that everything in the ports tree must fall in that
category.