Core dump using csup to update ports tree

Randy Pratt bsd-unix at embarqmail.com
Sat Jul 12 19:09:18 UTC 2008

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 10:23:07 -0700
"Garrett Cooper" <yanefbsd at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 7:47 AM, Randy Pratt <bsd-unix at embarqmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 07:26:36 -0700
> > Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> >> Can you provide a backtrace with this core?
> >>
> >> $ gdb /usr/bin/csup csup.core
> >> (gdb) bt full
> >
> > # gdb /usr/bin/csup csup.core
> > GNU gdb 6.1.1 [FreeBSD]
> > Copyright 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> > GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and
> > you are welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under
> > certain conditions. Type "show copying" to see the conditions.
> > There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show warranty" for
> > details. This GDB was configured as "i386-marcel-freebsd"...(no
> > debugging symbols found)... Core was generated by `csup'.
> > Program terminated with signal 11, Segmentation fault.
> > Reading symbols from /lib/libcrypto.so.4...(no debugging symbols
> > found)...done. Loaded symbols for /lib/libcrypto.so.4
> > Reading symbols from /lib/libz.so.3...(no debugging symbols
> > found)...done. Loaded symbols for /lib/libz.so.3
> > Reading symbols from /lib/libpthread.so.2...(no debugging symbols
> > found)...done. Loaded symbols for /lib/libpthread.so.2
> > Reading symbols from /lib/libc.so.6...(no debugging symbols
> > found)...done. Loaded symbols for /lib/libc.so.6
> > Reading symbols from /libexec/ld-elf.so.1...(no debugging symbols
> > found)...done. Loaded symbols for /libexec/ld-elf.so.1
> > #0  0x281b3677 in pthread_testcancel () from /lib/libpthread.so.2
> > [New Thread 0x8066600 (LWP 100197)]
> > [New Thread 0x8066000 (runnable)]
> > [New LWP 100198]
> > (gdb) bt full
> > #0  0x281b3677 in pthread_testcancel () from /lib/libpthread.so.2
> > No symbol table info available.
> > #1  0x281abaaa in pthread_mutexattr_init () from /lib/libpthread.so.2
> > No symbol table info available.
> > #2  0x2808d450 in ?? ()
> > No symbol table info available.
> > (gdb) q
> > #
> >
> > Thanks for the interest and response,
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Randy
>
> Randy,
>       Did you build csup yourself or did it come prepackaged with the
> base system? If the former, please recompiling csup with CFLAGS=-g (as
> well as your current CFLAGS) and then repost your results.
>       Also, please provide your CFLAGS (and any other compile flag
> variables) as a sidenote.

Its the csup built with the base system.  The only thing of
consequence in /etc/make.conf is:

  CFLAGS= -O -pipe
  NO_PROFILE=true            # Avoid compiling profiled libraries

I can see where the additional debugging symbols might be useful
*if* it happens again.  I can't reproduce it on demand.

How would I rebuild the base csup to use the -g or would it be
better to switch to the ports csup version and do it there?

Thanks,

Randy