portupgrade to Perl 5.10.0 ??

Parv parv at pair.com
Fri Jul 11 15:51:15 UTC 2008

in message <B194B820-D02B-4EE8-9834-0DFE76683B82 at ece.cmu.edu>, wrote
Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH thusly...

> On 2008 Jul 11, at 10:31, Vivek Khera wrote:
>
>> When I talk to some linux folks they just laugh that we don't
>> have a perl 5.10 yet.  It is embarrassing, actually, to go out
>> and evangelize FreeBSD when there are delays like this.
>
> As a practical matter, is 5.10 really all that urgent?
> (Bleeding-edge Linuxers don't count; FreeBSD is a production OS.)

We are talking about a port here, not part of the base FreeBSD OS.
Expecting a recent stable perl version six months after its release,
in relative quietness, is not considered urgent, I think.

Mind that perl was separated from base OS in order to have relatively
fresh perl around, and not to wait for FreeBSD releases to get perl
updated. A perl5.10 can easily exist with perl5 & perl5.8 ports.

Some of the reasons for my excitement are faster performance of regex
engine, named captures, ability to relocate (which would be
interesting to see if that works or advisable within Ports
infrastructure).

  - Parv