www/mod_dosevasive20 vs. www/mod_evasive20

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jan 18 05:59:00 PST 2008

On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 04:25:32PM +0300, Stanislav Sedov wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 04:04:49PM -0800 Jeremy Chadwick mentioned:
> > One of our customers pointed out to me that there's two versions of the
> > mod_evasive module actively floating around in ports:
> >
> >   ports/www/mod_evasive20
> >   ports/www/mod_dosevasive20
> >
> > Based on PR 106870 and the CVS commit logs, it looks like a repocopy
> > was done from mod_dosevasive20 --> mod_evasive20 (since the software
> > itself was renamed identically):
> >
> > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=106870
> > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/www/mod_dosevasive20/Makefile
> >
> > However, mod_dosevasive20 was never removed/deprecated.  This lead to
> > some confusion...  Can anything be done about this for consistency
> > reasons?
> >

> I beleive the mod_dosevasive20 port should be dropped due to rename.

I agree.  However, look at www/mod_evasive20/Makefile's PORTNAME:

$ grep ^PORTNAME /usr/ports/www/mod_evasive20/Makefile
PORTNAME=       mod_dosevasive20

This is obviously incorrect.  My customer is a bit perturbed by this,
and rightfully so.  And although I myself am a FreeBSD ports committer,
I don't believe in blindly fixing this without discussion first.

> Have you tired contacting the maintainer?

No, I haven't.  I did CC miwi@ who was responsible for the repocopy and
handling the PR; I think the above PORTNAME mistake was something that
slipped by, but it's obviously going to confuse people.

Of course, I'm also left wondering how portlint didn't catch this, how
Bill Fenner's automatic port builds didn't catch it, and how INDEX
generation didn't catch it.  (Can you tell I'm new here?  :-) )