HOW-TO get Flash7 working!

Tue Jan 15 01:34:09 PST 2008

Quoting Chuck Robey <chuckr at chuckr.org> (from Mon, 14 Jan 2008
15:08:50 -0500):

> Boris Samorodov wrote:
>> Hello Chuck,
>>

>> On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 16:54:31 -0500 Chuck Robey wrote:
>>
>>> As an example, the
>>> flash9 plugin needed a linux lib, libdl.so (I think it was .so.2).  If I
>>
>> I wrote the port which installs libdl.so.2, so I guess I should
>> respond...
>>
>>> wanted to be complete, it really needed about twenty different libraries,
>>> but libdl.so will serve as an example well enough).  It had been installed
>>> in some subdir of /usr/local/lib.
>>
>> Are you sure that you didn't use some non-default paths to install a
>> linux_base port? I'm asking the question because:
>> -----
>> % locate libdl.so
>> /usr/compat/linux/lib/libdl.so.2
>> % pkg_info -W /compat/linux/lib/libdl.so.2
>> /compat/linux/lib/libdl.so.2 was installed by package linux_base-fc-4_10
>> -----
>
> I'm a little behind in answering my mail, I hope I didn't keep you waiting
> too long.  Yeah, you're right, you had it right.  If and when I finally get
> ports-management to comment on my thesis, and IF they finally agree with
> me, I guess I'm going to be forced to completely zero out my entire system
> (damn, what a PITA) and get things fixed right from the beginning.  Back
> some years back, when I was very active in ports last, I had to maintain my
> system in an extremely "clean" status, because otherwise, one can never
> really guarantee that what builds fine one your system won't break on
> everyone else's.
>
> Anyhow, I said I made no effort to record what I did, and if in  this case
> I misremembered, please don't take it as an insult to your work, which does
> look like you did a fine job of it.  This, at least, is one port that DOES
> do things as I would have them.

_All_ pure infrastructure ports install into LINUXBASE. This is not a
"nice to have"-style requirement, it is a _hard_ requirement. Anyone
violating this gets a slap on the hand from me as sonn as I discover
it. So in case you talk about ports which only install libs and they
are not in LINUXBASE, I would say your system is fucked up and you
should install from scratch to have a good basis for discussion. So
far you just point fingers in a generic direction without giving hard
facts. A lot of this finger pointing is for libs, as far as I
understand your posts. So please, install a clean system and tell us
about concrete port names. Hard facts are a good base to talk about,
the "oh, I don't remember what I did but my current setup is not
satisfying" is leading nowhere.

> The only way I'm going to get things to be for certain, it's to start over
> from the beginning, and this time follow the procedures that any serious
> porter (such as you) already knows by heart.   I'm not going to try to
> repeat all that here.

I reply to your other mail later when I have more time. It is big and
I have to write some things there.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Any child who chatters non-stop at home will adamantly
refuse to utter a word when requested to demonstrate