cannot install p5-Net-Pcap

Max Laier max at love2party.net
Sat Jan 5 18:23:59 PST 2008

On Sunday 06 January 2008, Piotr wrote:
> now I'm getting this error:
>
> # cd /usr/ports/net/p5-Net-Pcap
> # make reinstall clean
>
> ===>  Building for p5-Net-Pcap-0.15_1
> Makefile out-of-date with respect to
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8/mach/Config.pm /
> usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8/mach/CORE/config.h
> Cleaning current config before rebuilding Makefile...
> make -f Makefile.old clean > /dev/null 2>&1
> /usr/local/bin/perl5.8.8 Makefile.PL "INSTALLDIRS=site" "CC=cc"
> "CCFLAGS=-O2 -fn o-strict-aliasing -pipe " "PREFIX=/usr/local"
> "INSTALLPRIVLIB=/usr/local/lib" "I NSTALLARCHLIB=/usr/local/lib"
> looking for -lpcap... yes
> checking for pcap_lib_version() in -lpcap... no
>         - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> You appear to have an old version of the pcap library.
>
> This module need a recent version of the pcap library in order to
> provide access to all its features. You can still compile it with your
> old pcap library but some functions won't be available, and trying to
> use them in Perl programs will generate errors. Programs only using the
> old functions should perform as previously. If not, don't hesitate to
> fill a bug.
>
> You can get the latest sources of the pcap library at
> http://www.tcpdump.org/
>
> If you install the pcap library using a system package, make sure to
> also install the corresponding -devel package, which contains the C
> headers needed to compile this module.
>         - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> detecting available functions... ok
> WARNING: LICENSE is not a known parameter.
> Checking if your kit is complete...
> Looks good
> 'LICENSE' is not a known MakeMaker parameter name.
> Note (probably harmless): No library found for -lpcap
> Writing Makefile for Net::Pcap
> ==> Your Makefile has been rebuilt. <==
> ==> Please rerun the make command.  <==
> false
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/net/p5-Net-Pcap/work/Net-Pcap-0.15.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/net/p5-Net-Pcap.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/net/p5-Net-Pcap.
>
> howto reinstall pcap, lpcap and all depending packages ?

Please note that libpcap in HEAD and RELENG_7 has been updated to 0.9.8
recently while RELENG_6 remains at 0.9.4.  I'm not sure what p5-Net-Pcap
really requires, but from the message you quote, 0.9.4 ain't it.  You
might be able to work around this by installing net/libpcap from ports
(which is at 0.9.7).  p5-Net-Pcap seems able to pick that up, too.

If that doesn't help you might be required to stick with an older version
of p5-Net-Pcap for the moment (or a newer one if they figure out how to
support older libpcap again).

/"\  Best regards,                      | mlaier at freebsd.org