I can't fetch or compile cvsup port on AMD64 Dec. snapshot

eculp eculp at encontacto.net
Wed Jan 2 08:08:41 PST 2008

Quoting Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-ports-local at be-well.ilk.org>:

> eculp <eculp at encontacto.net> writes:
>
>> I'm trying to compile cvsup on an AMD64 snapshot but has a problem
>> downloading all the emz3 stuff.  Is there a precompiled AMD64 cvsup
>> anywhere?  I have the idea that the tree is stale but I've updated
>> using portsnap and unless I have misunderstood the manual, it is up to
>> date.
>>
>> Any suggestions, I'm stuck as far as using cvsup for upgrading all
>> else seems to be OK.
>
> csup is in the base system, and is a more-or-less drop-in replacement
> for cvsup -- *except* for the fact that it doesn't handle cvs trees
> themselves.
>
> If you are maintaining a local cvs tree, you will need cvsup.  I think
> that updating just that one port's skeleton (and maybe the one for
> cvsup also, though I don't think you'll need that) will be enough to
> get cvsup running for your updates.  You can get that update directly
> from the FTP server, or from CVS Web.  You can also get the package
> directly; you'll need to specify the path (e.g., with PACKAGEROOT or
> one of the other variables documented in the ports(7) manual) or fetch
> it by hand.  I can't give the exact details because you didn't mention
> the version you were running, but for example the latest RELENG_6
> build is at
> /ftp at ftp.freebsd.org:/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-6-stable/net/cvsup-without-gui-16.1h_3.tbz

Lowell,

That did it, I'm happily updating all to the latest and greatest just
changed s/6-stable/8-current/ and all is well.  It seems that one [or
more] of the ftp servers is off-line because I had to cycle through a
couple to get a connection.

> Good luck

Thanks, your answer was the good luck that I needed.

ed