Port dependencies on p5-Test-*

Anton Berezin tobez at tobez.org
Tue Feb 26 12:42:09 UTC 2008

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 05:02:59PM -0800, Yen-Ming Lee wrote:

> So, there are two problems in the current perl ports, and either one
> of them will generate the overkill dependencies:
> 1. depends on the modules which are in perl core list already

A side-line comment here.  One has to remember that modules which are in
perl core consitute moving targets:

1. Such a module (not only Test::More) might be in the core 5.8 but not 5.6
  (or, in the near future, in core 5.10, but not in 5.8 and 5.6).

2. It might be more recent as a stand-alone module than in at least one of
   the supported cores, and

   2a. The module which depends on such *needs* the more recent version.

   2b. The module which depends on such can do perfectly well with an older
       version.

As time goes on, these situations will inevitably transmogrify into one
another.

This means that a scripted solution for such cases will be very prone to
errors, and a manually chosen approach will have to be re-examined every
time the target port is updated (and possibly every time one of the cores
gets updated).

I almost wish to rip off dual-life modules from our cores to simplify
situation.

\Anton.
--
We're going for 'working' here. 'clean' is for people with skills...
-- Flemming Jacobsen