Portmaster and added dependencies

Randy Pratt bsd-unix at embarqmail.com
Sat Feb 23 21:50:18 UTC 2008

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 16:26:53 -0500
Wesley Shields <wxs at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 03:59:11PM -0500, Randy Pratt wrote:
> > I've been using portmaster for a couple of weeks and like what I've
> > seen.  However, I'm a bit confused on how dependencies changes are to
> > be handled.  Here's a scenario:
> >
> > Events:
> >
> > 2008.02.17 01:50:08 UTC  devel/p5-ExtUtils-CBuilder: update to 0.22
> >
> > 2008.02.17 11:00:00 UTC  update ports and devel/p5-ExtUtils-CBuilder
> >                          was updated
> >
> > 2008.02.19 05:33:50 UTC  devel/p5-ExtUtils-CBuilder: Add missing deps
> >                          ports/120802 (textproc/p5-Text-ParseWords was
> >                          added as a build/run dependency)
>
> Snipped the rest because I think this could have all been avoided by
> bumping PORTREVISION when the dependency to p5-Text-ParseWords was
> added.  Ideally the dependency information should have been recorded
> with the update to 0.22 (like is in ports/120802).  I'm CC'ing leeym@
> who made the last commit.

It would have been far easier that way of course but this isn't the
first time a dependency change has been made to some port without
bumping PORTREVISION and probably won't be the last.  This situation
only existed for a couple of days and affected only those who updated
during the interim.

What I'm really looking for is the portmaster equivalent of
portupgrade's "pkgdb -L" to look for lost dependencies so I can
check all the installed ports dependency chains.

Thanks,

Randy