Portmaster and added dependencies

Randy Pratt bsd-unix at embarqmail.com
Sat Feb 23 20:59:14 UTC 2008

I've been using portmaster for a couple of weeks and like what I've
seen.  However, I'm a bit confused on how dependencies changes are to
be handled.  Here's a scenario:

Events:

2008.02.17 01:50:08 UTC  devel/p5-ExtUtils-CBuilder: update to 0.22

2008.02.17 11:00:00 UTC  update ports and devel/p5-ExtUtils-CBuilder
                         was updated

2008.02.19 05:33:50 UTC  devel/p5-ExtUtils-CBuilder: Add missing deps
                         ports/120802 (textproc/p5-Text-ParseWords was
                         added as a build/run dependency)

I have been running the command in my daily port updates:

  portmaster -d -w -m DISABLE_VULNERABILITIES=yes -a

but it never picked up the added dependency since it is already up
to date.  The man page seems to indicate that the dependency check
will be skipped if the port is up-to-date.  Running:

  portmaster --check-depends

didn't seem do do anything (because all ports were up-to-date?).

I decided to just update p5-ExtUtils-CBuilder-0.22 and it did
catch the added dependency of p5-Text-ParseWords.  Checking what
depends on p5-Text-ParseWords:

  # pkg_info -R p5-Text-ParseWords-\*
  Information for p5-Text-ParseWords-3.1:

  Required by:
  p5-ExtUtils-CBuilder-0.22

On this system I have 3 ports which depend on p5-ExtUtils-CBuilder:

  # pkg_info -R p5-ExtUtils-CBuilder-0.22
  Information for p5-ExtUtils-CBuilder-0.22:

  Required by:
  p5-ExtUtils-ParseXS-2.19
  p5-Module-Build-0.28.08
  txt2html-2.50

Finally, I just did a recursive update of p5-ExtUtils-CBuilder:

  portmaster -r p5-ExtUtils-CBuilder-0.22

and that gave me what I expected to see:

  # pkg_info -R p5-Text-ParseWords-\*
  Information for p5-Text-ParseWords-3.1:

  Required by:
  p5-ExtUtils-CBuilder-0.22
  p5-ExtUtils-ParseXS-2.19
  p5-Module-Build-0.28.08
  txt2html-2.50

I got to where I think I should be but obviously, I'm not doing
exactly the right thing for the portmaster command to always pick
up these added and/or removed dependencies.  I tried to use the
'-t' but it didn't seem to make any difference.

I've reread the man page but I still don't seem to see what I
need to do so that I don't have to chase down these little things.
Suggestions?

Thanks,

Randy