I've started to hate portupgrade

Angelo Turetta aturetta at commit.it
Wed Feb 20 14:37:17 UTC 2008

Every new version has such *evident* regressions!

Beside needlessly repackaging ports that fail build when doing "-a -p"
(obviously non repeatable by the developers), and sometimes failing to
reinstall a package if the install phase fails (also non reproducible,
but happening nonetheless in production servers).

Now, since the last upgrade, I cannot use -R if there's a port with an
unknown origin.

Look:

[root at mail]# portversion -vL=
openldap-client-2.3.40      <  needs updating (port has 2.3.41)
p5-Mail-IMAPClient-2.2.9    <  [held] needs updating (port has 3.04)
p5-PathTools-3.2700         <  needs updating (port has 3.2701)
p5-Socket6-0.19             <  needs updating (port has 0.20)
p5-Test-Harness-3.07        <  needs updating (port has 3.09)
squid-2.5.14_4              ?  [held] error - origin not found
squirrelmail-compatibility-plugin-2.0.9_1  <  needs updating (port has
2.0.10)

[root at mail]# portupgrade -aRp
** There are errors in a meta info for squid-2.5.14_4
** Run 'pkgdb -F' to interactively fix them.

Of course pkgdb -F asks me to delete squid-2.5.14_4. I also tried to add
it to HOLD_PKGS in pkgtools.conf, no change.

What the heck does it care if I want to keep an obsolete port! I think
the same would happen with a package installed from a developer
(non-standard) ports tree, or a perl module installed from CPAN without
a corresponding FreeBSD port.

Umpfffff...   Any portmaster migration guide for long-time portupgrade
users?

Angelo.