portupgrade-devel: 2 feature requests

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Fri Feb 15 09:25:38 UTC 2008

Doug Barton wrote:
> Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:
>
>>Doug Barton wrote:
>

>>The idea is more along the lines of knowing how far you are away from
>>completing the whole build
>

> ... and I repeat my thesis that what you're really interested in is
> how much time is left, not how many ports are left to build, and no
> tool is going to be able to tell you that.

... if FreeBSD has building cluster for packages, why not just record
time to build each package and use this value(s) for approximation of
time left? :o)

I know that build time is dependent on CPU, disks etc., it was just my
thought to publish the time needed to build on FreeBSD building system,
so people can easily find that package X needs 10 times more than
package Y etc..

Miroslav Lachman