portupgrade installing unexpected dependencies

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Wed Feb 13 21:57:49 UTC 2008

Miroslav Lachman wrote:

> [...]
>> openldap-client. (it is expected result for me)
>>
>> ...or em I wrong and I must add 'security/gnupg' => 'security/gnupg1'
>> in to ALT_PKGDEP in pkgtools.conf?
>

> OK.
>

> Just another strange behavior - `portinstall postfix` shown an OPTIONS
> dialog, where I checked SASL which will install cyrus-sasl2 during
> postfix installation. Cyrus-sasl2 is installed as dependency before
> postfix compilation - with default options (an OPTIONS dialog for
> cyrus-sasl2 did not appeared). After successful instalation of postfix
> with confirming all the questions about adding new user, activation in
> mailer.cf etc., portupgrade shown an OPTIONS dialog for cyrus-sasl2 and
> then start compilation of cyrus-sasl2 which was installed before postfix
> compilation by portinstall itself! So second istallation failed:
>
> --->  Installing the new version via the port with make flags:
> WITH_BDB=true WITHOUT_MYSQL=true WITHOUT_PGSQL=true WITHOUT_SQLITE=true
> WITHOUT_DEV_URANDOM=true WITHOUT_ALWAYSTRUE=true
> WITHOUT_KEEP_DB_OPEN=true WITHOUT_AUTHDAEMOND=true WITH_LOGIN=true
> WITH_PLAIN=true WITH_CRAM=true WITH_DIGEST=true WITHOUT_OTP=true
> WITHOUT_NTLM=true
> ===>  Installing for cyrus-sasl-2.1.22
> ===>   cyrus-sasl-2.1.22 depends on shared library: mysqlclient.15 - found
> ===>   cyrus-sasl-2.1.22 depends on shared library: db41.1 - found
> *** Updated user `cyrus'.
> ===>   Generating temporary packing list
> ===>  Checking if security/cyrus-sasl2 already installed
> ===>   cyrus-sasl-2.1.22 is already installed
>       You may wish to ``make deinstall'' and install this port again
>       by ``make reinstall'' to upgrade it properly.
>       If you really wish to overwrite the old port of security/cyrus-sasl2
>       without deleting it first, set the variable "FORCE_PKG_REGISTER"
>       in your environment or the "make install" command line.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/security/cyrus-sasl2.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/security/cyrus-sasl2.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/security/cyrus-sasl2.
> ** Command failed [exit code 1]: /usr/bin/script -qa
> /tmp/portinstall.7043.1 env make WITH_BDB=true WITHOUT_MYSQL=true
> WITHOUT_PGSQL=true WITHOUT_SQLITE=true WITHOUT_DEV_URANDOM=true
> WITHOUT_ALWAYSTRUE=true WITHOUT_KEEP_DB_OPEN=true
> WITHOUT_AUTHDAEMOND=true WITH_LOGIN=true WITH_PLAIN=true WITH_CRAM=true
> WITH_DIGEST=true WITHOUT_OTP=true WITHOUT_NTLM=true
> DEPENDS_TARGET=package reinstall
> ** Fix the installation problem and try again.
> --->  ** Install tasks 2: 1 done, 0 ignored, 0 skipped and 1 failed
> ** Listing the failed packages (-:ignored / *:skipped / !:failed)
>         ! security/cyrus-sasl2  (install error)
>

> Why is portinstall installing cyrus-sasl2 twice?
> Why portinstall did not shown an OPTIONS dialog for the first time?
> (this is on a fresh installation of FreeBSD 7.0-RC1 without previous

I don't know when/where/what was changed in portupgrade, but current
version seems almost useless to me.
Installing of Trac plugins ends with error installing apache-1.3.41 (why
if I have Apache 2.2.8 and Trac installed)
Previous versions were OK in this situation and tracking and filling all
"ALT_PKGDEP" isn't easy task.

Manual installation of apache-ant needs only 5 dependencies

# pkg_info -rR apache-ant-1.7.0_1
Information for apache-ant-1.7.0_1:

Depends on:
Dependency: xtrans-1.0.4
Dependency: xproto-7.0.10_1
Dependency: xextproto-7.0.2
Dependency: javavmwrapper-2.3
Dependency: diablo-jdk-1.5.0.07.01_9

installation by portupgrade ends with more than 60

# pkg_info -rR apache-ant-1.7.0_1
Information for apache-ant-1.7.0_1:

Depends on:
Dependency: pkg-config-0.22_1
Dependency: xproto-7.0.10_1
Dependency: fixesproto-4.0
Dependency: xineramaproto-1.1.2
Dependency: xf86vidmodeproto-2.2.2
Dependency: xf86miscproto-0.9.2
Dependency: xf86dgaproto-2.0.3
Dependency: xextproto-7.0.2
Dependency: videoproto-2.2.2
Dependency: xtrans-1.0.4
Dependency: scrnsaverproto-1.1.0
Dependency: renderproto-0.9.3
Dependency: recordproto-1.13.2
Dependency: randrproto-1.2.1
Dependency: printproto-1.0.3
Dependency: libICE-1.0.4,1
Dependency: libSM-1.0.3,1
Dependency: libXdmcp-1.0.2
Dependency: libXau-1.0.3_2
Dependency: libfontenc-1.0.4
Dependency: inputproto-1.4.2.1
Dependency: kbproto-1.0.3
Dependency: libX11-1.1.3,1
Dependency: libxkbfile-1.0.4
Dependency: liboldX-1.0.1
Dependency: libXext-1.0.3,1
Dependency: libdmx-1.0.2
Dependency: libXt-1.0.5
Dependency: libXxf86vm-1.0.1
Dependency: libXxf86misc-1.0.1
Dependency: libXxf86dga-1.0.2
Dependency: libXv-1.0.3,1
Dependency: trapproto-3.4.3
Dependency: libXvMC-1.0.4
Dependency: libXtst-1.0.3
Dependency: libxkbui-1.0.2
Dependency: libXrender-0.9.4
Dependency: libXres-1.0.3_2
Dependency: expat-2.0.0_1
Dependency: fontcacheproto-0.1.2
Dependency: freetype2-2.3.5
Dependency: libXrandr-1.2.2
Dependency: libXpm-3.5.7
Dependency: libXp-1.0.0,1
Dependency: libXprintUtil-1.0.1
Dependency: damageproto-1.1.0_2
Dependency: libXfixes-4.0.3
Dependency: compositeproto-0.4
Dependency: libXprintAppUtil-1.0.1
Dependency: libXinerama-1.0.2,1
Dependency: libXcomposite-0.4.0,1
Dependency: libXi-1.1.3,1
Dependency: libXevie-1.0.2
Dependency: libXmu-1.0.3,1
Dependency: libXaw-1.0.4,1
Dependency: fontsproto-2.0.2
Dependency: libXTrap-1.0.0
Dependency: javavmwrapper-2.3
Dependency: libXScrnSaver-1.1.2
Dependency: libXfont-1.3.1_2,1
Dependency: libFS-1.0.0
Dependency: fontconfig-2.4.2_2,1
Dependency: libXfontcache-1.0.4
Dependency: libXcursor-1.1.9
Dependency: libXft-2.1.12
Dependency: libXdamage-1.1.1
Dependency: xorg-libraries-7.3_1
Dependency: diablo-jdk-1.5.0.07.01_9

Silently installing dependencies with default options without showing an
OPTIONS dialog is annoying too.

I was happy user of portupgrade for many years, but if all above is "the
right way to the future", maybe it is time to give a chance for
portmaster or anything else.

Miroslav Lachman